Watch Rugby Matches at CocoVail
Are you looking for a place to watch rugby in Barcelona? CocoVail has 6 TVs, and we broadcast major (and not so major) rugby matches upon request.
Rugby Games On This Week:
Until further notice, CocoVail is only open for delivery of food at home.
Six Nations Championship 2020
The 6 Nations Championship in 2020 takes place from February 1st – March 14th.
Congratulations to Wales for their conquest of the Six Nations Championship 2019!
Contact us directly and we’ll see what we can do to accommodate your rugby-watching needs.
What is Rugby?
There’s an old saying by Oscar Wilde about rugby in contrast to football (a.k.a. footy / soccer): Rugby is a game for barbarians played by gentlemen. Football is a game for gentlemen played by barbarians. If you’re scratching your head thinking, “what pray tell does this even mean?” Don’t worry, you’re not alone. That’s why we’re here to help clarify the matter.
While rugby is a very physical game, there are rules of engagement and they serve to protect the health and wellbeing of every participant. Yes, just like any contest, competitiveness sparks animalistic desires to win at any cost; however, there is a general code of honor and conduct with rugby that is not seen in other less-physical sports.
Post-Match Rugby Tradition
At the end of matches, the competing teams get together for a lunch / dinner. So if you’re being a dick on the field, odds are you may end up eating crow (or a sandwich) next to the people you antagonized. If that doesn’t make you think twice, I don’t know what will. Imagine having to eat a meal with a person who is 2-3 times your size when not an hour prior you were trying to buckle their knees maliciously. They may want to squeeze your skull a wee-bit, like The Mountain vs Viper in Game of Thrones… Oops, delayed spoiler alert. You’ll just have to watch it all now, won’t you?
Furthermore, rugby does not have the likes of a Neymar rolling around for 20 minutes like a fish out of water when someone breathes on him. If you don’t know what we mean, here’s an example. Also, someone may or may not have a video with him rolling around different scenarios for 10 hours straight on YouTube. You’re welcome.
Imagine this bloke playing rugby, just imagine.
Side Note: We have to say we are big fans of soccer and all sports in general, but we have to make fun of the idiosyncrasies.
Fun Facts About Rugby
- People don’t f*** with referees. They just don’t, especially if their name is Nigel.
- Rarely do people throw punches during a rugby match. It’s not only frowned upon, but harsh penalties (such as 10-game bans) are implemented with haste.
- If we divide Northern vs Southern Hemisphere teams, the latter attained many more championships collectively. Out of 8 Rugby World Cups, only 1 has been claimed by a Northern Hemisphere team. That was England in 2003.
- Up until 2000, the Six Nations Championship only had 5 countries, and Italy joined the party almost 2 decades ago.
- Rugby is now played in over 100 countries by both men and women. It’s a rapidly expanding sport around the globe, and there are over 4.5 million registered players.